Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things


I haven't done any reviews on either the Sharpie Fine Point pen or Doane Paper as there are already great reviews available, such as those at OfficeSupplyGeek or The Pen Addict. So this is basically a fan appreciation post.

Start with the Sharpie Fine Point pen. Whoever thought of this deserves a raise. The Sharpie pen was always great to write with, on any surface. But it was thick and stubby and the point was too wide for fine writing. Along came the Fine Point and changed all that. A permanent marking pen in a sleek design that fits easily into purse or pocket, with rich black ink that doesn't soak through the paper.

Then there is Doane Paper, the ultimate Grid + Lines experience. I've had a number of people in my office flip over my pads, idea journals, and stoplight series. They love this paper, and have chipped in on orders to get to the $40 free shipping limit. I don't know what it is, but I've discovered that a few of the crowd I work with are paper fanatics and are now seriously in love with Chad Doane (especially one colleague who recently emailed him with a question--she could not believe he emailed her back! I told her so, lol). We've been poring over the new Flap Jacket wire bound pad, and debating on punching holes for adding to three-ring binders (I'm neutral, others are pro especially after we tried an experiment involving a notepad and an industrial grade three-hole punch in my office that didn't work out too well). I'm now used to people coming into my office and gasping, then pointing to my desk at my Doane Paper small notepads. Or the commotion I can make when I go to a staff meeting and pull out my Idea Journal to take notes.

One or the other, a Sharpie Fine Point or a Doane Paper pad, would be wonderful. The two together are heaven, and a few of my favorite things.

4 comments:

  1. Whitelines and Doane look good (haven't tried either, yet). I'd used quadrille paper for decades to change up, get out of a bad groove, practical reasons, etc. Are fine paper (Crane's, e. g.) people innovating at all?

    You're right, PB, lot of good reviews out there by knowledgeable folks. Jack/Youngstown

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could find some kindred spirits in my office.

    I recently acquired the retractable sharpie pen and also a bigger, cushioned one. I should take a photo and post on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane you are awesome! Thank you so much for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Doane Paper pads! I used Levenger pads for many years (great paper) but the grid and high quality paper of the Doane pads won me over.

    ReplyDelete