Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Phone Booth

Every morning at 6:30 am I would catch the 14th Street crosstown bus heading west to the 8th Avenue subway. This guy would get off at my stop, and he would immediately go to the phone booth and start twisting nobs to see if any quarters would drop into the change slot. He wasn't just giving the nobs a turn or two, he was twisting back and forth so hard it seemed like he would break the phone. Then he'd walk across the street to catch a transfer uptown.

I started leaving for work a few minutes earlier, and would get to the stop before my buddy. Some months back I started putting a quarter in the change slot. Every once in awhile when I'm late I'll see him at the phone booth twisting the coin return, looking for the quarter I have in my hand. Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment