Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Noodler's Blue Nose Bear Ink


Here's a quick review of Noodler's Blue Nose Bear ink, which is one of the softest and loveliest blue-green inks I've ever seen. (If you click on that link, definitely scroll down and cCheck out the two videos Goulet Pens has posted showing off Blue Nose Bear.) I'm using one of the new Noodler's Ahab flex nib fountain pens, and the nib is very big and flexible so you get a good idea of how this ink looks.

The ink seems to be very wet in the Ahab, flowing all over the place and I actually had a few spatters on the page. As I wasn't pressing very hard on the nib, I presume it's the ink. We'll see when I try it in one of my Japanese fine nibs, then it might be better behaved.

The paper I was using was an 80gsm stock I have on hand (Rhodia quality, if you will). I was very surprised at how much bleed through there is with Blue Nose Bear, double-sided writing isn't going to work too well with this ink--at least not using the Ahab flex, but maybe with a finer nib.

Drying time and water resistance are average--it's a wet ink, so expect it to take some extra seconds to saturate the page (perhaps a bit too much) and dry, and it's not waterproof so getting it wet will lead to ink running off the page. It does have some fluorescence to it, and it is forgery-resistance if those qualities are of interest. But if color is your thing and you are looking for a new blue-green with exceptional shading, then Blue Nose Bear is for you.

7 comments:

  1. Re 'excess' flow from the Ahab? Same problem here, resolved by pulling out the nib+ feed, then pushing back in with less nib showing beyond the feed? Due care about that breather tube when you withdraw it? If it won't go back, unscrew the body and push the plunger down a little until the breather tube slots back in, then refit the nib/feed. HTH Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Ahab is really wet as well. I'll give you advice opposite of DaveP ;) I pulled the feed & nib out, scrubbed it all down with water and dish soap and then pushed it back in so that about 9 lines on the section show and the nib tip is about 5 mm past the tip of the feed section. After that, turn the pen nib down and lightly press the nib against the feed section. Then ink it up and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like this ink is a bleeder. I'm on the fence about the color. It seems too dull to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with peninkcillin, and its just that I can't seriously find any way to use this ink other than to stain napkins and my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a soft color, Peninkcillin, not as bright as some others. Something about it reminds me of a blue spruce, but it's not quite the same color. I'll have to test it in another pen (countrydirt & DaveP, thanks for the advise on how to dry up an Ahab) with a finer nib to get a sense of what it's like in a more constrained context.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This ink's behavior sounds very much like Bad Green Gator. I love the color, but it feathers bleedsthrough on ALL paper even Rhodia.

    ReplyDelete