Friday, December 9, 2011

Lost Crates December 2011 @LostCrates


The December 2011 Lost Crates package arrived last night, and it's quite interesting (am I the only one who remembers that you don't combine red and white as it's bad luck?--it symbolizes blood and bandages).


Naturally there's a calendar, the Quotable 2012 calendar. Then there is a pack of wine and thank you notes, small note cards by OrangeBeautiful using Emily Martin's designs. They are all quite lovely, and I've already used one for a bottle of red I'm giving to a friend tonight.

The paper component of the package is a pair of Dream Up jotters by Smock, small flexible 40 page notebooks made in upstate New York.

Finally, two items from Tokyo: Mark's Bicolor Pen (the pen is bicolor, not the ink) and Mark's Washi tape, which is quite lovely. I'm looking forward to trying both, especially the tape for a few projects that need some decoration.

5 comments:

  1. "am I the only one who remembers that you don't combine red and white as it's bad luck?--it symbolizes blood and bandages" Or peppermint.

    Boy I really need to sign up for the lost crates..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of red & white being bad luck - it's something I see all over the place this time of year!

    I would sign up for Lost Crates, but they're still only doing UPS delivery, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red and white taboo is mainly with flowers and specifically with those being given to patients in hospital. That combination is thought to be a death omen as the colors signify blood and bandages. Not sure the provenance, but I think it started around the time of the Great War (WWI). The red and white likely also refer to the barber pole, a barber way back in the day being a lesser form of surgeon.

    Penemuel, they are still doing UPS as far as I know. You could contact them to see if they'd change it. I have mine sent to my office. And yes, Derrick, you need to sign up some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful assortment, I am looking forward to getting my next crate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!
    Leather Jotters

    ReplyDelete