Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Zebra Clip-on Multi 2000



One of my co-workers is leaving for greener pastures, and as he also happens to have been my assistant for the past four years I wanted to get him something special. A fountain pen wouldn't work too well, but then I saw this Zebra Clip-On multi at Kinokuniya, with four pens and a pencil, and decided to go for it.

I should note that D stands 6 ft 4 inches tall and has large hands, so while a Hi-Tec-C would be my first choice it would probably look like a toothpick if he used it. The rollerball pens he uses tend to be big, like the Staples Opti-Flow. So a big pen would be in order, and since he's a writer I thought a multi pen would be a great gift.

When I saw the Zebra Clip-On Multi 2000 I knew this would be ideal for D. Kinokuniya had several color choices, and I decided on the matte black (the matte red was beautiful but a little showy, and the silver didn't impress me at all). I also decided to take a few pictures and give it a test drive on some 80gsm bright white paper.


This is a big pen, and as JetPens notes it is the high-end version of the standard Clip-on multi. The black matte body is still plastic, but thicker and more substantial although it isn't very heavy in the hand.



There are four different 0.7mm ink colors (they look smaller in the writing sample, more like 0.5mm or less) and a 0.5mm pencil that emerges when you push down the clip. The eraser is underneath the cap, keeping it safe and invisible.

Trying the ballpoints on a Rhodia notepad, I thought the colors were a bit pale, but that may be due to the vibrant fountain pen inks I tend to use rather than a dilution of the oil-based color.

The pencil takes a bit of getting used to, as it descends via plunging the clip--which is also how the lead feeds into the pencil. Pushing down on the clip brings the pencil down but may also give you half an inch of lead you weren't expecting to see.

This is definitely one of the nicest multi pens I've ever seen, although my Hi-Tec C pens will always take first place. It makes a statement by it's size and looks, the black matte finish reminding me of certain "stealth pen" models but at a much lower price point.

The Zebra Clip-On 2000 is durable-looking yet its design is pretty spare except for the clip, which is substantial yet somehow lean and elegant. If you like multi pens and are interested in adding to your collection, give this a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment