Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Vintage Waterman 92V Fountain Pen


This amazing fountain pen was my brother's Christmas gift to me, and my mouth still drops open when I think about it. He remembered my mentioning the Philadelphia Pen Show to him last Christmas, and then telling him about the Waterman pens I picked up at the October 2010 NYC Pen Show. So he went online and found a vintage pen seller, someone by the name of (wait for it)...Richard Binder. Did I know anything about him?

After picking my jaw up from the floor I grabbed some paper and the bottle of ink my brother also thought to buy with the pen ('cause I don't carry any when I'm traveling) and filled my new tyke up. This green and red Waterman 92V is a vest pocket pen that was made sometime in the late 1930s. It's 4,5 inches in length when capped (tiny!), and meant to fit in a gentleman's pocket for jotting quick notes. It has a 14k #2 nib, a very flexible fine point which my brother said had been worked on in some way by Richard Binder (bro doesn't quite remember what the specifics were, I may have to email to find out).

This is definitely a flexy nib, my only problem with it is that it seems to be a very dry writer. I'm using the EVERFLO ink, but will switch over to Noodler's or maybe the Chesterfield/Diamine archival inks. Noodler's tends to be very wet in most of my pens, the archival inks would be similar to what was originally in this Waterman. It's a beautiful pen, writes very well, and it's so small I have to be careful not to lose it. The perfect colors for Christmas as well.

One interesting note: I had my Sheaffer Slender Balance fountain pen with me and my brother really liked it. So much so that he went online and found one at an auction site that he immediately bought. He also mentioned that the seller had some really nice Esterbrooks available, then stopped himself saying that buying these fountain pens could become really addictive. Could be, lol.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a nice gift! I'm jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous pen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have (almost) the same pen. I think the clip is slightly different. Still one of my favorites! Nice pen, nice post, nice gift. http://goodpens.blogspot.com/2009/12/top-10-of-2010-3-waterman-92.html

    ReplyDelete